A spermogram is a comprehensive analysis aimed at evaluating the main parameters of male ejaculate. The diagnostic purpose of screening is to determine a patient's fertility. Laboratory tests provide doctors with information about some qualitative and quantitative characteristics of semen.
Doctors recommend to take a spermogram in the following cases:
- when a couple is planning a pregnancy;
- if a couple has unsuccessful attempts to conceive a child;
- collection of biomaterial for artificial insemination;
- ending a therapeutic course against the backdrop of infertility;
- completion of rehabilitation after injuries to the reproductive system.
Such screening is optionally prescribed for patients who are planning to become sperm donors. Couples who want to have a child are advised to undergo joint fertility tests when there has been no pregnancy for six months of unprotected sexual contact.
Patients who have to undergo a spermogram are not only interested in the cost of the screening. Many men ask their doctors questions about possible contraindications to ejaculate laboratory tests. Urologists and specialists at reproductive health centers identify several factors that can lead to unreliable test results. They are:
- taking hormonal medication;
- viral and bacterial infections;
- STDs in the acute or chronic phases;
- chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
In such cases, the need for a spermogram is determined by the patient's doctor.
Spermogram in JSC "Medicina" (Academician Roytberg Clinic)
JSC "Medicina" (Academician Roytberg Clinic) is located in the Central Administrative District of Moscow - patients wishing to undergo a spermogram will quickly find the right building within walking distance of the "Mayakovskaya" metro station. Advantages of the clinic include:
- high-precision diagnostic and therapeutic equipment;
- fully equipped urology department;
- own ambulance service;
- the possibility of providing diagnostic services as part of the VHI system.
The clinic's cooperation with the leading VHI programme operators guarantees that all analyses - including spermogram - are fully covered by their insurance companies. Patients are simply required to choose a suitable day for their visit. The price of a spermogram depends on the diagnostic purpose of the laboratory test.
During preparation for a spermogram it is recommended for the patients:
- to refrain from having sexual contact 2-3 days before your visit to the clinic;
- to avoid visiting a bathhouse 5-7 days before taking the biomaterials;
- to avoid alcohol and tobacco use one day before the screening;
- to reduce physical activity 4-5 days before the screening.
By agreement of the doctor, the patient should not take any medication that can affect the spermogram.
Patients can collect the necessary amount of ejaculate for a spermogram at home and bring it to the clinic within half an hour. A sterile container of suitable volume with a screw cap can be used as a storage container. An alternative option is to take biomaterials in our clinic. All patients are provided with separate rooms.
Side effects and complications
The process of taking a spermogram has no significant side effects. The procedure itself does not involve the development of any complications - all patients need to follow the rules of hygiene in the process of obtaining their ejaculate.