Experience 13 year
Doctor of the highest category, member of the European Society of Surgeons
Appendicitis is one of the most common diseases of the digestive system, which is treated with surgery. In this case, the disease is considered one of the most dangerous, because it entails serious consequences. It proceeds very quickly and causes complications that are life threatening. Approximately 10% of people suffer from appendicitis, the probability of getting pathology is very high throughout their life. We will tell you what symptoms appendicitis has, how to recognize it in time, what to do and how to treat it.
Acute appendicitis: symptoms, how to determine, methods of treatment
Acute appendicitis can develop regardless of gender and age. Statistics show that most often it appears in people who have not reached the age of 40. Up to 20 years of age, men suffer from acute appendicitis more often, but women prevail among patients aged 20-40 years. Then the likelihood of appendicitis inflammation decreases, but does not disappear completely. The disease can strike even in old age.
Doctors regularly perform operations on this organ, but the functions of the appendix are still not fully understood. It used to be thought that this is a rudiment that a person has from herbivorous ancestors. Its function is completely useless today.
However, later there were reasons to believe that the appendix plays a rather important role in endocrine processes, and also affects immunity. It helps to organize the intestinal microflora. This conclusion was reached when studying the patient's body after surgery. After the appendicitis was removed, the person was observed by specialists, paying attention to the changes. The number of beneficial microorganisms is significantly reduced, bowel function is reduced.
Yet the appendix is not a vital organ, people can function normally without it. If there is a suspicion of appendicitis, the operation should be performed immediately, otherwise it is fraught with serious consequences, including death.
Which side is appendicitis
If a person is asked where is appendicitis, he will at least think about it. Despite this simple question, about a third of people answer it incorrectly. Someone points to the lower abdomen on the left, someone points to the right side, closer to the side. So let's figure out which side is the appendicitis.
First of all, it is worth understanding that appendicitis is an inflammatory process in an organ called the appendix. It is located in the lower part of the intestine. In normal condition, it looks like a small tube, the length of which varies from 50 to 150 mm. The diameter does not exceed 10 millimeters. It does not have a through passage, it branches off from the cecum.
The appendix is located in the lower abdomen, on the right side. It is close to the groin area, an acute pain condition occurs there. The causes of appendicitis have not yet been thoroughly studied, doctors determine a number of factors that provoke the development of pathology. Therefore, if symptoms of appendicitis are found, you should immediately consult a doctor and prepare for surgery.
Symptoms of appendicitis
The symptoms of appendicitis are quite obvious, but even though severe pain and other factors indicating the presence of inflammation may occur, people cannot always identify the problem in time. We will tell you what are the main symptoms of appendicitis, how to notice pathology and inflammation in time and what to do in such a situation.
If a child develops acute appendicitis, he will complain of abdominal pain. But you should not immediately raise a panic, because pain can arise for other reasons. The main rule in such a situation is to control yourself and take consistent steps to provide first aid. Finding symptoms in an adult is no different.
Appendicitis develops gradually, but the inflammation that occurs with an ailment affects the body instantly. The process begins to swell in the first few hours after the onset of the inflammatory process. It gradually fills with pus. In the absence of surgery within 3-4 days, the bag will simply burst, and the pus will spread into the abdominal cavity. Therefore, in case of acute appendicitis, you should immediately consult a doctor for help, and call an ambulance and immediately go for surgery.
Characteristic signs of appendicitis
There are basic symptoms that indicate the presence of acute appendicitis. The most important symptom that manifests itself in the first place is severe abdominal pain. Moreover, it does not stay in place and is constantly moving. It can appear in the upper abdomen, then manifest in the right or left side. Sometimes the pain radiates to the anus or ribs. Here are the characteristic signs of appendicitis:
- there are severe abdominal pains;
- when pressing on the abdomen, the pain sensations increase significantly;
- abdominal muscles are constantly tense;
- if you lie on your side and draw in your legs, the pain will gradually subside: this is one of the symptoms by which you can determine the presence of inflammation in the appendix (the patient constantly takes this position);
- in the acute form of the disease, nausea and bouts of vomiting are regularly disturbed;
- the nature of the stool changes greatly, there may be constipation or diarrhea;
- body temperature rises.
These are the most obvious symptoms by which appendicitis can be identified. If there is even a slight suspicion of the presence of pathology, you should immediately go to the doctor and conduct a diagnosis. You can contact our clinic and undergo a comprehensive examination of the body. When the diagnosis is confirmed in an acute form, an operation will be prescribed.
Particular attention should be paid to children and the elderly. They cannot always determine the nature of the pain, understand what the problem is. The child becomes inactive, refuses to eat, cries regularly. Pain in the elderly may not be so active, the symptoms are not so pronounced, so the symptoms of inflammation of appendicitis may not be very typical.
Atypical forms and symptoms
In addition to the main signs, there are unusual symptoms that may indicate the presence of acute appendicitis. They are due to specific forms of the disease that are found in patients. Let's look at the atypical causes of appendicitis and their forms:
- Emipiema. An unusual form of appendicitis that develops slowly. There is no process of pain movement, it immediately strikes from some side and does not subside.
- Retrocecal appendicitis. Inflammation of the abdominal region is very mild, but bowel function is disrupted. The main symptom is loose stools, which may not stop for a long time. A person experiences pain in the lumbar region, periodically it radiates to a part of the thigh.
- Left-sided appendicitis. It is characterized by standard symptoms, but most often they appear on the left side. This is one of the most dangerous types of appendicitis, because a person does not even suspect that there is a problem in the specified organ. Many are accustomed to the fact that appendicitis hurts on the right side, and when symptoms appear in the opposite part, not everyone thinks about inflammation of appendicitis.
- Pelvic appendicitis. This is an atypical form that is diagnosed in women. The symptom is considered to be an increase in temperature, a burning sensation in the navel.
As you can see, in addition to the initial (typical) form of the disease, there are other manifestations that indicate the presence of appendicitis. Even if the characteristic symptoms are not felt on the side of appendicitis, but there is an assumption that the inflammation may be in this particular organ, it is worth going to the hospital. If the signs appear clearly, you need to call an ambulance.
First aid for the development of the appendix: what to do to stop hurting
With appendicitis, you need to immediately go to the clinic. If you find hints indicating organ damage, you should call an ambulance, it is already dangerous to move on your own. This is because the pus bubble can burst and damage the abdominal cavity. But while the doctor is coming to you, you should give yourself first aid. These actions will partially help get rid of pain and protect yourself from harmful consequences. First aid for the disease is as follows:
- the doctor is called first. This can be done by relatives if they are nearby, or you need to call the clinic yourself;
- the main mistake of most patients is the use of pain relievers. We understand that appendicitis hurts, it is difficult to endure, but the use of any medications can prevent doctors from determining the correct diagnosis and the degree of damage to the body. It is worth giving up painkillers before the arrival of doctors;
- it is forbidden to eat any food and even drink liquid. If you really want water, you are allowed to take a couple of sips. But not more;
- one of the most dangerous actions is to apply a heating pad to the injury site. Heat only intensifies the processes of inflammation and often leads to rupture of the organ. This action should be completely eliminated;
- you should ensure rest, be in a horizontal position. Discuss further actions with the doctor, pay attention to the symptoms, talking in detail about them. Even if the pain has ceased, you still need to seek help.
These actions of a person will help not only reduce the manifestation of symptoms, but also preserve health and even life. This applies to both adults and children. There are many reasons for the onset of the disease, so you need to monitor your well-being, especially for the symptoms that arise. If they make themselves felt, this is a bell to check.
What is the main cause of appendicitis
Specialists are studying in detail the issue of the development of this pathology, but still it is not possible to understand why appendicitis occurs. The only thing that we managed to come to was the conclusion that appendicitis appears clearly not due to one factor. There are a number of reasons that contribute more to acute appendicitis.
It is believed that the most important reason for the development of appendicitis is the blockage of the appendix. Blockage can occur due to the ingress of feces into the process, or if a foreign body gets there. It is also caused by compression of the appendix due to the development of adhesive processes. This is fraught with inflammation that affects the organ area and is the main cause of appendicitis.
Other causes of the disease
The main cause of appendicitis is blockage of the organ, but there are a number of other factors that provoke foci of inflammation. Let's figure out what causes appendicitis.
If appendicitis hurts, then there are factors that provoke pathology. In most cases, these are bacteria that infect the body. These include enterococci, staphylococci, Escherichia coli and others. Abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, and lack of appetite are signs of these bacteria. That is why, if your stomach hurts, you still need to go to the doctor and undergo the examination procedure. Also, the reasons for the development of appendicitis include:
- vasospasm that feed the organ with blood;
- trauma to the abdomen;
- tendency to constipation;
- a factor in the onset of pathology is poor intestinal peristalsis;
- lack of plant fibers in human food;
- the presence of any parasites;
- regular overeating;
- the use of low-quality food;
- acute form of infectious lesions;
- bad habits;
- reduced level of immunity;
- also a failure can occur due to frequent stress;
- lack of valuable vitamins;
- displacement of the appendix due to injuries, during pregnancy, an increase in the uterus.
These are the main factors contributing to the development of the disease. If even the slightest symptom of appendicitis is found, you should immediately respond. If you suspect appendicitis, contact a health care center. JSC "Medicine" (Clinic of Academician Roitberg) provides professional treatment of appendicitis, helps to get rid of the consequences and completely restores health. Choose quality treatment to get rid of diseases.
Why can it hurt on the other side
You know which side of the appendicitis is, in theory, this area should suffer the most. But it happens that the pain starts from a completely different side. This does not apply to typical symptoms, so it is not always possible to understand in time that there are problems with appendicitis. Why does it hurt on the left side:
- a left-sided pathology develops, which affects more the left region;
- attacks of pain are variable in nature: first, the place where the appendicitis is located is affected, then the opposite side;
- a phantom sensation is created in which it seems that the pain is present on the other side.
Regardless of whether the pain is bothering where the appendicitis is located, or on the completely different side, if there is a suspicion, you need to visit the clinic. You should check the appendicitis for pathologies.
Diagnosis of appendicitis
If appendicitis is suspected, primary diagnosis is prescribed. It allows you to exactly separate the inflammation of the appendix from other pathologies that can develop in the gastrointestinal tract by symptoms. For this, a visual examination of the patient is used, the determination of the first signs in the form of nausea, vomiting. Palpation is also done to determine the level of pain. If a patient suffers from ailments of the gastrointestinal tract, he must definitely inform the doctor about this in order to avoid making an incorrect diagnosis.
The initial examination of the patient also allows you to notice a tense abdomen and other factors that are signs of the start of an acute process. The patient should be admitted to the clinic and further diagnosed.
What does the diagnosis of suspected appendicitis include?
With signs of an acute form of the disease, the body should be examined in detail, a number of procedures are assigned to the person to confirm the diagnosis. Effective diagnostic methods include:
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity;
- CT scan;
- clinical analysis of blood and urine;
- laparoscopic examination;
- X-ray examination of the abdominal cavity.
When diagnosed, the doctor recognizes the ailment and prescribes further treatment. The problem is that many of the symptoms correspond to other pathologies, including pancreatitis, ulcers, gastroenteritis and others. There are also bouts of nausea with renal colic, stretching of the abdominal muscles. Diagnosis of appendicitis allows you to accurately determine the pathology and decide on the methods of treatment.
The best method to confirm the diagnosis is laparoscopic examination. The doctor makes a small incision in the abdomen and inserts a tube to test. Removal can be done using the same method.
Which doctor should I contact
When the first discomfort occurs, patients begin to panic. They often do not know which doctor to see. First of all, a sick person must call an ambulance. Pathology refers to urgent diseases that have an acute type of leakage, so you need to call an ambulance as soon as possible. In the future, an experienced surgeon will deal with the treatment.
The clinic of JSC "Medicine" employs highly professional doctors with extensive experience. They will carry out all the necessary tests and prescribe an effective treatment for acute appendicitis. Doctors will prepare you for the operation and will accompany you until your complete recovery.
Treatment of appendicitis
When the first signs of appendicitis are noticeable, this suggests that you need to immediately visit a medical center. It is better if a person manages to visit a medical institution on his own, and not bring his health to an emergency call. Unfortunately, the processes take place instantly, after 2-3 days the state of health is approaching critical. That is why it is important to know how appendicitis begins and what to do in this case.
The treatment process often takes place through an operation. But there are cases when the operation is impossible or there is no great need for it. In an acute condition, other methods of exposure are excluded, but with timely treatment, the doctor can offer alternative methods.
What causes appendicitis in children and adults
As we said, this ailment has no age, it occurs in both adults and children. The signs are quite obvious at any age, however, children may incorrectly explain the symptoms, not determine the side in which pain appears. Parents need to understand the stages of the onset of the disease. To do this, you should know what causes the acute pathological process.
Food is primarily to blame. It is not in vain that parents tell their children that they should not eat green apricots or seeds with shells. The older generation also neglects full-value food. Because of this, metabolic processes are disrupted, an organ blockage occurs.
One more reason can be distinguished: a violation of the gastrointestinal tract. In this case, the likelihood of developing other pathologies increases. Patients often indicate diseases associated with pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract.
Children may be silent about abdominal injuries. Regularly it is worth examining the child, if you suspect damage, you need to go to the clinic, where they can perform the necessary tests.
If appendicitis hurts, you need to start treatment right away. In no case can you cope with the disease on your own, if there is the slightest suspicion of appendicitis - go straight to the doctor.
Appendix treatment: how inflammation is relieved
In order to prevent appendicitis from affecting the body, an operation is performed. The disease is treated by an experienced surgeon, the task is to remove the appendix. If the inflammatory process is acute, then the traditional method of surgery is used, in which an open incision is performed. There is also a laparoscopic method that allows you to remove the appendix right while studying the patient's condition.
Once the appendicitis is removed, the person is placed in a ward for further recovery. After the operation, the patient should be in a supine state. 12 o'clock is strictly not allowed to get up, it is forbidden to eat any food. In the future, you can begin to move a little, eat foods that the doctor has allowed. The recovery period takes approximately 1 week. Sometimes the patient's state of health worsens, the temperature rises, then the recovery period can be extended to 2 weeks.
If surgery is impossible for certain reasons, the doctor prescribes conservative therapy. It includes the use of antibiotics and other pharmacological drugs. In this case, the patient is placed in a hospital.
Additional therapy is recommended to improve health. It is necessary to monitor the development and recovery of the body after surgery, start physical exercises, but only under the supervision of an experienced specialist. Loads should be moderate.
Can appendicitis be cured with folk remedies
When there are unpleasant feelings from appendicitis, many sick patients want to help themselves on their own. To do this, they begin to use unconventional methods of influencing the body. But some do not even know where the appendicitis is, let alone the treatments.
It is worth knowing that this ailment cannot be categorically treated with folk remedies. After the occurrence of any signs indicating pathology, you should immediately call a doctor or go to a medical center. With the development of pathological processes, the state of health will deteriorate. Folk recipes will not save you from rupture of the appendix, and if this happens, pus will enter the abdominal cavity. This can be fatal. According to the signs, it is difficult to understand whether the problem is with the appendix, or with the gastrointestinal tract. Only a specialist can figure it out.
Indications for surgery
With this type of ailment, in most cases, surgery is done. This is the best solution, especially since this body does not perform particularly important functions. With an acute diagnosis, surgical treatment should be carried out immediately. The indications for surgery are as follows:
- all signs are present that indicate the presence of an acute inflammatory process;
- the appendix has ruptured and urgent assistance is required;
- the main sign for carrying out surgery is the critical condition of the patient;
- if there is a suspicion of further development of pathology, even if the condition is now satisfactory, but there is a possibility of serious problems in the future.
If the doctor has determined a sign of the presence of pathology, surgery should be resorted to.
Contraindications for acute appendicitis
With the development of technology and modern equipment, the process of performing surgery is quite simple. The patient is given anesthesia, he will not feel anything. If there are indications for surgical intervention, you should definitely resort to this method of eliminating pathology.
However, in some cases, the clinic cannot treat appendicitis by removing it. This is due to a number of factors that do not allow the normal execution of this action.
Under what conditions the operation cannot be performed
As such, there are no contraindications to the operation, unless the patient is in the agonal stage. In other words, if he is already in a dying state, and surgery cannot correct the picture, then doctors refuse to carry out such procedures.
Contraindications for acute appendicitis surgery
If you find even a small symptom, you should immediately contact a medical center. There are practically no contraindications for acute appendicitis, but there are a number of factors that limit the ability to perform the procedure for removing the appendix. With an acute manifestation of the disease, they are ignored, since urgent help is required. But with the planned elimination of an organ, if inflammation is detected in a timely manner, it is worth paying attention to the presence of factors such as:
- severe heart disease;
- serious lung problems;
- impaired liver function
- abnormalities in the work of the kidneys.
In this case, the specialist can choose an alternative effect on the organ and try to get rid of the inflammatory processes with the help of antibiotics and other pharmacological drugs. In this case, the patient must be in the hospital, since doctors will monitor his condition.
The problem can arise during pregnancy. Due to the increase in the size of the uterus, the appendix is compressed, which leads to a violation of its functionality. In this case, the doctor independently decides whether to carry out surgery. The risks of using antibiotics and other drugs, as well as the surgical process itself, are assessed. It is worth noting that local anesthesia and general anesthesia are used. Both of these methods can harm both mother and baby. Therefore, specialists, relying on a lot of factors, make decisions on the spot.
Price for examination, treatment
With appendicitis, medical attention is needed. In no case should you try to get rid of the inflammation yourself. But many are worried about the question: how much does the operation cost, what is needed for this, where to go.
The price of such services depends on the set of events to be taken. Initially, an examination is performed, according to the signs, the doctor will determine the degree of threat to health. Further, a number of procedures are prescribed, including surgery. You can find out the prices on our website, as well as call us for detailed information. The consultant will answer all questions.
Benefits of treatment in the clinic of JSC "Medicine"
We offer you the services of the clinic of JSC "Medicine". Our center has been helping people since 1990; only experienced highly qualified specialists work for us in various directions. The advantages of the medical center are as follows:
- Modern equipment is used. Thanks to professional technology, specialists accurately diagnose, carry out complex surgical procedures, and help to get rid of various pathologies as safely as possible. All equipment has certificates and is regularly checked.
- Only experienced doctors work. Our specialists regularly undergo training in world medical centers, attend symposia, scientific conferences. But the most important thing is real experience and constant practice. You will be in good hands.
- Courteous staff. They will always communicate with you politely, explain all the details of the research in an accessible way, talk about the progress of your recovery. You get detailed information, you can ask questions and get polite and detailed answers.
- Great service. There are no queues in our center because everything is planned correctly. Records are kept with specialists, the staff will accompany you, help you collect the necessary documents. The patient and his health are paramount.
- Own ambulance. An important sign of professionalism and high quality service is the presence of our own ambulance. You will not have to suffer for hours in pain while the car is coming to you. Immediately after the call, the team is sent to the specified address. In a short time, you will be provided with professional assistance.
- Convenient location. The clinic is located in Moscow, near the Mayakovskaya metro station. It is very convenient to drive up from any side of the city. We provide all the amenities for a comfortable stay on the territory of a medical institution.
- The presence of a doctor-curator. An experienced specialist will be in touch at any time. Our center is open on holidays and weekends.
- Comfortable wards. They are equipped with modern technology, all the necessary resources for a comfortable recovery.
Don't let appendicitis harm your health. As soon as a dangerous symptom appears, call our medical center and we will help you immediately. Every minute counts, don't waste time and get only highly professional help from world-class specialists. Call us at any time, an ambulance will be ready to go to you immediately.