District gynecologist, gynecologist-surgeon (SOD)
Experience 15 year
District gynecologist, gynecologist-surgeon (SOD)
Attention! You can cure this disease free of charge and get medical care at Medicina JSC (Academician Roitberg's clinic) under the program of the State Guarantees of Compulsory Medical Insurance (Compulsory Medical Insurance) and VMP (high-tech medical care). For more information, please call +7 (495) 845-02-28, or on the VMP page on OMS
Involuntary urination occurs for a variety of reasons. The anatomical structure of the female genitourinary system differs from the male nature, therefore, urinary incontinence is most often diagnosed in women. In men, this problem is less common. In total, about 6.5% of men under the age of 65 suffer from urinary incontinence. Most often, this condition occurs with prostate adenoma and after operations associated with this disease.
Urinary incontinence sharply worsens the quality of life, leads to the development of psychoemotional disorders, professional, social, family and household maladjustment. Very often this problem is not an independent disease, but becomes a manifestation of pathological processes of various origins. In this case, the approach to treatment should be determined taking into account the underlying disease. According to experts, the problem would not be so acute if the patients went to the doctor at the first signs of the disease, not limited to the use of urological pads.
What symptoms and signs indicate urinary incontinence
This problem is detected quite easily. The only and main symptom is periodic involuntary leakage of a portion of urine. There is also a form of incontinence called enuresis. In this case, the involuntary acts of urination most often occur during sleep. Typically, this problem occurs in children.
With the onset of symptoms, psychoemotional irritability increases. For all the delicacy of the problem, you shouldn't try to deal with it yourself. In this case, you can only worsen your condition and provoke the development of various psychosomatic diseases.
What causes urinary incontinence in women
In fact, urinary incontinence in women can develop for many reasons. But most of them are associated with nervous tension and overwork. Also among the main factors provoking the development of the problem are:
- difficult childbirth, accompanied by rupture of the soft tissues of the perineum or overstretching of the pelvic floor muscles;
- overweight. Overweight people are at risk;
- all kinds of gynecological operations. There is a high probability that after removal of cysts or tumors on the uterus or ovaries, a problem with urinary incontinence will appear in the future;
- hormonal changes in the body during menopause. At this time, there is a loss of muscle elasticity, which leads to a weakening of the sphincter. As a result, it does not perform its function effectively enough;
- features of the female anatomy. If we compare the male and female urethra, then in women it is small in length and large in width. And so that urine does not leak, they need very strong pelvic floor muscles;
- in the case of diagnosed urge incontinence, overactive bladder syndrome or neurogenic bladder syndrome may be a provoking factor. An unforeseen situation can occur even when a woman, knowing her peculiarity, deliberately limits the amount of fluid consumed. This type forces a woman to be in the immediate vicinity of the toilet (she is afraid to move away, because the urge happens with enviable regularity - at least once every one and a half to two hours). The cause of this type may be a neurological problem: a craniocerebral or spinal injury, and sometimes the problem appears as a result of a stroke. Sometimes the reason can be hidden in a genitourinary infection, having cured which, a woman will forever forget about this problem.
Features of diagnostics of urinary incontinence in the clinic of JSC "Medicine"
At the initial visit, the urologists of our center carry out the following diagnostic measures: a survey to identify complaints and a general examination, according to the results of which further diagnostic measures and analyzes will be recommended to identify the cause of this condition.
To clarify the expected type of incontinence, the doctor prescribes an additional, clarifying examination. These are ultrasound of the urinary system, urodynamic examination, microbiological examination of urine, cystoscopy, X-ray examination.
Since the main diagnostic task is to find the cause provoking such a condition, the following list of methods and studies is recommended:
- gynecological examination. It is this study that allows you to assess the condition of the genitals and detect their prolapse. A cough test is performed directly on the chair, but sometimes with a pronounced prolapse of the uterus and the anterior wall of the vagina, it may turn out to be negative. In order to accurately determine the amount of leaking urine, it is recommended to do a pad test;
- for a more detailed study of the anatomy of the pelvic organs, an x-ray examination (urethrocystography) is performed;
- ultrasound procedure;
- laboratory tests of urine, including culture for microflora.
For diagnosis, a urination diary, which is kept by the patient herself, will be useful. It makes it easier to diagnose a particular type of incontinence. In difficult diagnostic cases, the use of magnetic resonance imaging is shown. It is especially helpful for stress urinary incontinence.
After a thorough examination, the doctor prescribes the type of treatment that depends on the type of incontinence identified and provides for different approaches.
Modern methods and methods of treatment of urinary incontinence in the clinic of JSC "Medicine"
Patients should be treated only after the exact cause of incontinence has been identified. That is why you cannot self-medicate, since the recommended Kegel exercises for women with hormonal imbalance or a urinary tract infection will not help at all. And the longer professional treatment is delayed, the more chances of getting additional problems.
In total, there are several types of treatment: non-surgical, medical and surgical intervention.
Non-surgical non-drug methods
- bladder training. For this, a urination plan is created and you must adhere to its implementation. Gradually, the intervals between trips to the toilet increase, but the entire procedure should be supervised by a doctor. Many women with urinary incontinence tend to go to the toilet at the slightest urge, which happens very often. Sometimes they try to go early, for "prevention", which only exacerbates the situation. If you follow the urination plan, the urges that arise must be contained. It is important to reach an interval of 3-3.5 hours between using the toilet. Such training is usually combined with drug therapy and is designed for about three months;
- exercise to strengthen your pelvic muscles. Strengthening the pelvic floor muscles is also worth paying attention to. Often, after training to strengthen them, women note that the problem has disappeared. The basic exercises for strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor are Kegel exercises. It is also worth strengthening the abdominal muscles, especially the lower part of it;
- hysiotherapy. It helps to strengthen muscles and make them more elastic. This is due to improved blood supply to the pelvic organs. Microcurrents, heating, electromagnetic pulses are used as physiotherapeutic procedures.
Medicines have proven themselves especially effective in the case of an urgent type of incontinence. For the treatment of this type of urinary incontinence, antispasmodics and antidepressants are prescribed primarily. The main task of the drugs is to have a relaxing effect on the bladder, as well as to extinguish the urge to urinate at the level of the nervous system.
Medication takes at least a month. Preparations and dosage are prescribed exclusively by the attending physician, taking into account the diagnosis.
The operation is resorted to when treatment with conservative methods is not effective. Surgical intervention can be indicated for any form of incontinence. At the moment, there are many ways to save patients from the problem, but minimally invasive methods remain the most relevant. This includes overlaying a synthetic loop. After such an operation, a woman can return home the very next day. In the future, a full life awaits her, the main thing is not to overcool, so as not to provoke the development of cystitis.
How is urinary incontinence classified: types of disease and their characteristics
Urinary incontinence can be divided into three types based on symptoms:
- stressful. It occurs with an increase in intra-abdominal pressure. Most often this happens when lifting weights, playing sports, during intercourse. As the problem develops, incontinence occurs even with the slightest exertion: minor stress, laughing, coughing or sneezing;
- urgent. It is characterized by such an intolerable urge to urinate that you may not have time to react. In reality, it turns out that the bladder is not even filled, or only slightly filled;
- mixed form. In this case, the symptoms of the first and second groups are combined.
It is enough to face urinary incontinence once to overwhelm the experience. And under stressful conditions, pathology develops even more actively. In order not to walk in this vicious circle, you need to visit a doctor who will prescribe treatment and adhere to all his recommendations.
Indications and contraindications for disease
Anyone who suffers from urinary incontinence can relieve their condition. This requires:
- observe the drinking regime. It is important not to cut it to a minimum and not drink too much liquid. The norm is 1.8 liters of fluid per day. This includes not only water, but also juice, tea, compotes, etc. For people with an active lifestyle or during hot seasons when sweating increases, more fluid is required. Determining the lack of fluid is very simple: the urine becomes too concentrated and takes on a dark saturated color. Drink in small portions throughout the day;
- stick to a diet. In order to avoid the symptoms of urgency incontinence, it is necessary to reduce the consumption of alcohol, caffeine and carbonated drinks, exclude spicy and salty foods, acidic foods;
- engage in weight loss. Excess weight negatively affects the condition of the pelvic organs;
- monitor your blood sugar levels if you are diagnosed with diabetes. If necessary, do everything possible to normalize them;
- taking diuretics or any drugs with a diuretic effect, you must be close to the toilet for the first 40 minutes;
- prevent constipation. They can sometimes make symptoms worse. Increasing the amount of fiber in the diet helps to normalize stool.
As preventive measures, you can recommend:
- regular medical examinations by a gynecologist and urologist;
- the use of hormone replacement therapy in menopause, which can only be selected by a doctor;
- lifestyle change.
Diet and lifestyle again
The incontinence lifestyle undergoes certain changes. They are as follows:
- creating physical stress on the muscles of the pelvic floor (physiotherapy exercises are performed, which strengthens these muscles, improving microcirculation and conduction of the nerve impulse in them);
- dietary changes to prevent constipation;
- limiting weight lifting;
- careful adherence to hygiene measures.
Hygiene features for female incontinence
Urological pads facilitate socialization and significantly improve the quality of life for women with urinary incontinence. There is a large selection of quality urological pads that reliably absorb liquid and neutralize unpleasant odors.
Such hygiene products must meet the following requirements:
- have the ability to absorb and retain fluid;
- keep the skin dry in any case so as not to provoke the development of irritation;
- correspond to anatomical features;
- be antibacterial.
The problem is that most women, when faced with the problem of incontinence, begin to feel embarrassed about it. And instead of visiting the clinic, they simply buy urological pads. The longer the visit to the doctor is delayed, the more neglected the problem becomes. This attitude towards your health is unreasonable, you should be examined as soon as possible. To do this, you must make an appointment with the specialists of the clinic of JSC "Medicine".
Recommendations for those suffering from urinary incontinence
You must come to the doctor's appointment with a slightly full bladder.
It is very good if you manage to fill out a urination diary within three days on the eve of the visit and bring it with you:
- Time in 24-hour format.
- The volume of urine released (ml).
- The need for tension in the abdomen when urinating (yes, no).
- Urine leakage and its degree on a scale of 1 to 3.
- Change of gasket (yes, no).
- Leaky activity (coughing, running, etc. or at rest).
- Intolerable urge and its degree on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Liquids drunk (ml).
During the examination, your doctor should be told if you are constantly taking any medications - they may aggravate the symptoms of incontinence.
Physicians who treat urinary incontinence
In the multidisciplinary clinic of JSC "Medicine", accredited according to international standards, the problem of urinary incontinence is dealt with not only urologists, but also neuropathologists, and gynecologists, and even physiotherapists. Qualified specialists, using the latest techniques, provide comprehensive treatment, successfully relieving patients of this ailment.
Cost of initial admission, research and treatment
The exact cost of treatment depends on many factors: the form of incontinence and the causes of it. Each specific case of treatment is unique and requires a complete examination. Our specialists select treatment based on factors that characterize a specific disease. Each of the methods has many options for application, depending on the individual characteristics of the disease in a particular patient. Therefore, the prescribed treatment primarily differs in the required volumes and methods of preliminary diagnostics, the drugs used, the duration of admission and procedures, etc. Therefore, the final treatment of urinary incontinence in the clinic of JSC "Medicine" is determined based on the scheme determined by the attending physician.
You can get acquainted with the current rates of the clinic directly on the website.
Attention! You can cure this disease free of charge and receive medical care at Medicina JSC (Academician Roitberg's clinic) under the program of the State Guarantees of Compulsory Medical Insurance (Compulsory Medical Insurance) and VMP (high-tech medical care). To find out more details, please call +7 (495) 845-02-28, or you can read in more detail here
Benefits of treatment in the clinic of JSC "Medicine"
The effectiveness of the treatment of urinary incontinence in women, like any other disease, depends largely on the competence of doctors.
The multidisciplinary private clinic of JSC "Medicine", the level of medical service in which corresponds to the European one, enjoys the well-deserved trust of the residents of the capital and patients from other cities of Russia.
The medical center specializes in the latest methods of diagnosis and treatment of diseases, including the urological and gynecological fields. Classical medicine, complemented by innovative laser technology, has already helped hundreds of patients who needed immediate attention. You no longer need to live with constant fear and looking for the nearest toilet.
Our specialists will help you get life back on track - for this they use several methods to solve a delicate problem. You will learn more about them by signing up for a consultation at a convenient time for you.
If you still have questions about stress or urgent incontinence, as well as about common causes of involuntary incontinence, methods of treatment in a specific diagnosed case, our specialized specialists will answer them.
Remember, we guarantee complete anonymity and consulting support at all stages of treatment. JSC "Medicine" (Clinic of Academician Roitberg) compares favorably with similar centers by a number of factors. We have waiting for you:
- high-tech laser equipment, which will make the treatment process fast, effective and painless;
- modern diagnostic base;
- a staff of highly qualified specialists with experience in a specific medical industry;
- utmost openness and honesty in dialogue with patients.
Do not postpone solving the problem indefinitely. It is in your ability to recover from the disease and start living a full life. The sooner you see a doctor, the faster you will forget about your problems.