District gynecologist, gynecologist-surgeon (SOD)
Experience 6 year
Obstetrician-gynecologist, endosurgeon Member of the European Society of Gynecological Endoscopy Member of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
Statistics in gynecology show that 60% of women suffer from colpitis. Vaginitis, the second name of the disease, manifests itself as inflammation of the mucous membrane with the seizure of the vulva. It is infectious and non-infectious in nature. It occurs mainly in women of childbearing age and in the period after menopause. Sometimes seen in girls and newborns.
Symptoms and signs of colpitis
At risk is the beautiful half of humanity aged 18 to 45 years. The most common form of colpitis is thrush. Itching and unpleasant discharge begins in the vaginal area. Vaginitis does not go away by itself. The disease is subject to careful treatment.
- characteristic discharge, depending on the course of the pathological process: curd, watery, foamy, purulent;
- swelling and redness of the vulva;
- itching and burning in the intimate area, increases with walking;
- persistent sour smell;
- disorders of the nervous system: insomnia, irritability, anxiety;
- pain syndrome of the small pelvis, especially during intimacy;
- increased body temperature (extremely rare);
- frequent urge to urinate;
- urinary incontinence.
The consequences of colpitis are not always the worst. In some cases, the symptoms go away and the woman calms down. But this means that the disease has gone deep inside. At some point in time, the signs of vaginitis will return. Timely check with a specialist will avoid consequences.
Causes of colpitis
The intimate area requires constant care and careful examination.
Signs of vaginitis:
- non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene;
- the consequences of using antibiotics;
- infections transmitted from a partner;
- allergic diseases;
- delivery trauma and abortion;
- long-term use of hormonal drugs;
- pathology of the thyroid gland;
- hormonal changes: menstruation, childbirth, breastfeeding;
- the use of radiation therapy for oncology;
- synthetic underwear;
- overeating spicy, fried and fatty foods;
- long stay in a hot room;
- decreased immunity;
- lack of vitamins;
- streptococci and staphylococci in children.
The reasons are often opportunistic or infectious microorganisms: fungi, viruses, bacteria.
Classification of colpitis
The disease begins to develop in the vagina itself. Watery discharge first appears, accompanied by a faint odor. This stage of development is called primary colpitis, which practically does not bother women. At the second stage, the disease takes on an acute form. The fair sex feel a noticeable deterioration in health. Itching, burning, pain begins.
In a healthy vagina, there is a balance between normal and pathogenic microflora. The shift to the alkaline side contributes to a sharp decrease in the production of lactic acid by lactobacilli. The predominance of opportunistic microorganisms causes bacterial vaginitis.
The most common type of colpitis is candidiasis. The mucous membrane becomes infected with yeast-like fungi. It is observed in women of reproductive age. Sometimes it occurs in girls and even in men. The foreskin and glans are affected. Representatives of the stronger sex, as a rule, are carriers of thrush. Candidiasis is difficult to treat. It is resistant to therapy.
If colpitis is not treated for a long time, it takes on a chronic form. Most of this refers to thrush. The fungus adapts to the vagina and stops bothering the woman. The discharge becomes the usual color, there is practically no smell. At the same time, itching after intimacy, jogging, brisk walking worries. Subsequently, there is a tendency to relapse.
The development of colpitis occurs under the influence of Trichomonas bacteria : chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, syphilis. Microorganisms are sexually transmitted. In rare cases, parasites can be caught in the household. Symptoms appear on the third day. Purulent discharge with an unpleasant odor begins. There are pains in the lower abdomen. Such patients immediately go to the clinic for an appointment.
This form of colpitis develops from the contact of intimate organs with agents that have an allergen in the composition : personal hygiene soap, condoms, pads, tampons, local contraceptives.
Deficiency of estrogen in women leads to aging of the genitals. The vaginal epithelium becomes thinner. There is redness of the walls and dryness of the mucous membrane. Feeling of pain, discomfort during urination and intercourse.
Vaginitis in pregnancy
Colpitis is especially dangerous for the expectant mother. A harmless discharge can infect the amniotic fluid, which can have serious consequences. A pregnant woman does not always cope with carrying a baby. The progression of pathology will adversely affect the development of the child. In this case, it is necessary to neutralize the vaginitis. Natural remedies will help.
Diagnosis of colpitis
The examination involves a visit to a gynecologist. The doctor takes a regular smear. Next comes a conversation about hygiene and close relationship with a partner. Social well-being in the family is one way to quickly cure colpitis.
Full diagnostics occurs sequentially:
- general and biochemical blood test;
- general urine analysis;
- assessment of the condition of the cervix and vaginal mucosa;
- examination of the taken smears;
- cytology - assessment of the scraping of the cervical mucosa;
- bacteriological examination - used in expectant mothers, girls and in patients who have applied again;
- colposcopy - examination of organs with a magnifying device;
- PCR is a method by which complex infections are detected;
- Ultrasound of the small pelvis - prescribed in case of complications or advanced forms of vaginitis.
Visual inspection shows how much the color of the cervix has changed. The inflammatory process is characterized by a bright scarlet color, secretions of various consistencies, and the presence of pus in the vagina.
This method involves sowing the vaginal microflora in special conditions. Next, the sensitivity of microorganisms to antibiotics is determined. The identified pathogen is planted in different sectors that contain drugs of different groups. The preparation of the analysis takes 7 days.
Where the antibiotic died, put a minus. Where everything is unchanged, they put a plus. The result of the method is the identification of bacteria of the following groups: enterococci, gonococci, Trichomonas, citrobacter, seminal bacillus, streptococci, staphylococci, gardnerella, Escherichia coli, Proteus, leptotrix.
The device consists of a lens with lighting. Before the procedure, they take an ibuprofen tablet for pain relief. The patient lies down on a chair. The device is located 15-20 cm from the cervix. With the help of lenses, the interior is viewed at 40x magnification. The most pathogenic zone is identified, from which the smear is taken.
The passage of this technique is limited in the following parameters: menstruation, the period after childbirth, after abortion, 1-2 months after cauterization of cervical erosion or surgery. Consult your doctor prior to the procedure.
PCR - polymerase chain reaction
The method is based on the detection of blood antibodies in relation to microorganisms and infection that cause vaginitis. For analysis, take venous blood on an empty stomach or smear. Analyzes are ready in 2-3 days. With the help of CPR, antibodies to the causative agents of colpitis are determined : chlamydia, herpes virus, papilomavirus, cytomegalovirus, HIV, gardnerella, mycoplasma, ureaplasma. CPR is a universal technique that has no contraindications.
It is not possible to cure vaginitis on your own. Treatment of the disease is best left to professionals. The doctor will conduct diagnostic studies, on the basis of which he will prescribe therapy. Treatment should be comprehensive, and the effect is directed at the main causative agent of inflammation: antibacterial, antiviral, hormonal drugs, antibiotics, immunomodulators are prescribed. The question of a combination of several types of drugs is decided during the examination.
Innovative medicines allow you to get rid of colpitis and have a beneficial effect on the intimate sphere. Without disturbing the activity of good microorganisms of the mucous membrane, they fight against pathogenic flora. The drugs are not absorbed into the bloodstream. There are no contraindications for expectant mothers.
Common medicines for fungus:
- Iodoxide, Neotrizol, Nystatin - vaginal suppositories. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Ketoconazole cream. We are treated for 5 days.
- Deflucan pills. It is prescribed for one-time use.
- Metronidazole - suppositories or tablets. The course is 10 days.
- Ampicillin - apply for 10 days. Available in tablet form.
- For viral vaginitis, add Valtrex, Zovirax, Acyclovir.
Colpitis can be cured with the simultaneous use of local drugs. Antiseptic solutions and disinfectants are prescribed. The inside of the vagina is washed with solutions of boric acid, potassium permanganate, baking soda. The therapy lasts up to 2 weeks.
Treatment of vaginitis should be aimed at eliminating concomitant diseases. Otherwise, the therapy will not be effective.
What accompanies colpitis?
Complex therapy involves getting rid of the diseases that accompany vaginitis. Based on the results of the analyzes and the examination, the doctor refers the patient to specialized specialists. If there are problems with excess weight or high sugar levels, then the endocrine system is checked.
Prescribed drugs that maintain the balance of the thyroid gland and strengthen the immune system: vitamins, minerals, probiotics, sorbents, immunostimulants and drugs that promote the absorption of glucose in the blood.
If colpitis occurs due to menopause, first of all, menopause is treated. Hormonal medicines, vitamin and nutritional supplements are prescribed. It is recommended to exercise in a cool room.
With neuroses, antipsychotics, sedative pills, sleeping pills are used. For allergies - hypoallergenic drugs. The nephrologist and urologist will prescribe antibiotics and medications for kidney failure. Additional treatment is possible only under the supervision of doctors!
Possible complications of vaginitis
Untimely treatment threatens with adverse consequences for the female body. The acute course of the disease turns into a chronic sluggish form. Such colpitis is difficult to treat. Relapses are observed in women. The quality of life is markedly reduced.
The consequences of vaginitis:
- urethritis and cystitis - a disorder of the genitourinary system;
- inflammation of the inner layer of the cervix: erosion, cervicitis, endometritis;
- infertility, difficulties in conceiving and carrying a baby;
- ectopic pregnancy;
- various infections not associated with vaginitis;
- the risk of synechia in girls is the fusion of the labia.
If you have symptoms - contact a specialist urgently!
In practice, folk remedies are used to relieve inflammation. It is recommended that you first consult with your doctor. Herbs are prescribed mainly for pregnant women. The expected therapeutic effect will not be, but the itching and inflammation will go away.
- Add 15-20 g of chamomile and calendula in dry form to boiling water.
- Cook for 15 minutes and cool.
- We filter and use it as a personal hygiene product.
- Cooking with fresh herbs. Grind and rinse with 25 g of coltsfoot and blackberry leaves.
- We brew the raw materials with boiling water and leave under the lid for 1 hour.
- Cool and use for douching and washing.
Alternative remedies soften the vagina, creating a state of comfort.
Indications and contraindications
Diagnostics is an indicator of recovery for the patient. Let's go through the examination and make sure that the colpitis has receded.
What is shown during treatment:
- Both partners undergo a therapy course. Men do not get sick themselves, but they are carriers of diseases. Both need to be treated.
- We use antiseptics for hygiene procedures.
- We include more fermented milk products in the diet.
- We wash girls with antiseptics after each act of urination and defecation. We monitor personal hygiene. We wash and iron the linen thoroughly.
What to refuse:
- We exclude relationships of intimacy. Even condoms are annoying.
- We eliminate from the diet all sources of exposure to mucous membranes: salty and spicy foods.
- We exclude alcohol-containing drinks.
After the completed course, it is necessary to use drugs that allow you to completely restore the vaginal microflora. For these purposes, additional drugs are prescribed: Atsilak, Bifikol, Lactobacterin.
Experts recommend to undergo spa treatment. Therapy in sanatoriums includes various baths and muds to improve the condition of the female organs.
Controlling the state of microflora means periodically visiting a doctor. Colpitis can come back in the form of relapses.
- once every six months we hand over a smear for flora;
- completely abandon bad habits;
- we follow a diet - less often we eat salty and spicy;
- we take vitamins in autumn and winter - we strengthen the immune system;
- we carry out hygiene procedures twice a day;
- showering using intimate hygiene soap with a suitable pH;
- if possible, refusal from panty liners.
Women are advised to buy cotton underwear. If you have silk and tango panties in your wardrobe, use them, but only as needed. Natural fabrics allow the body to breathe, which is important in preventing disease.
Physicians treating this disease
Treatment of vaginitis has been a gynecologist. At the reception, the specialist performs a number of actions:
- conducts a conversation and collects complaints;
- performs a gynecological examination;
- takes a smear using a special mirror;
- gives a referral for analyzes;
- sends to other doctors for further examination.
Vaginitis is often accompanied by diseases of the genitourinary system. Nephrologist and urologist are involved in consulting the patient. It is important to identify the focus of colpitis. And only after that, start therapy.
Doctors of JSC "Medicine" (clinic of Academician Roitberg) will help to identify the cause. You can choose a specialist from a list of doctors.
Cost of initial admission, research, treatment
JSC "Medicine" in Moscow deals with the treatment of various diseases. Gynecology is one of the priority areas. The procedures are carried out both on an outpatient basis and in a hospital setting. The clinic employs gynecologists with extensive work experience, who have established themselves as the best specialists.
The doctor will consult, diagnose, and prescribe treatment. Modern research methods give a positive result. You can contact the clinic of JSC "Medicine" on weekends and holidays. We do our best to make the patient feel comfortable. Make an appointment with a specialist!
Consultation with a gynecologist
At the first visit, the doctor, using modern technologies, will quickly diagnose colpitis. You will find out which variety the disease belongs to. And according to the results of a comprehensive examination, the doctor will identify concomitant diseases that provoke vaginitis. And he will find the right solution - the treatment that is right for you!
Cost of services
The table below shows a table containing the prices for the initial examination by a specialist, as well as the cost of diagnostic procedures that may be needed to determine the method of treatment. Since the treatment of each patient must be approached individually, the total cost of treatment will vary depending on what is the price for each procedure that you require.
Benefits of treatment in the clinic of JSC "Medicine"
JSC "Medicine" has a number of awards in the field of quality of services provided. JSC "Medicina" Clinic (Professor Roytberg Clinic) is a winner of the EFQM Awards 2012 and the first five-star clinic in Russia. The current areas of activity of our clinic are pediatrics, dentistry, gynecology, proctology, cardiology, restorative medicine, etc.
The clinic conducts new forms of treatment: pathology of the spine, sleep, memory. There are centers for cardiac surgery, endoprosthetics, neurorehabilitation, ophthalmosurgery, and oncology.
- individual approach to patients;
- innovative equipment;
- The pursuit of excellence.
The clinic employs more than 300 doctors of various specialties: gynecologists, urologists, nephrologists, allergists, endocrinologists and many others. The clinic of JSC "Medicine" is the base of the Department of Therapy and Family Medicine of the Russian National Research Medical University named after N.I. Pirogov. The consultations are carried out by experienced specialists and doctors of science.