Coronary angioplasty and stenting
Angioplasty is a procedure that prevents the narrowing and complete blockage of the heart arteries. Also, during the procedure, stenting is often used. Stents are small tubes whose walls resemble a mesh. These tubes are designed to avoid repeated adhesion of blood vessels in this place.
Reasons for the procedure
Angioplasty is performed using percutaneous coronary intervention. In other words, a probe is inserted through the skin, which subsequently enters the vessel on the heart. A stent is also inserted with the probe (in cases where it’s used). During the withdrawal of the probe, the stent remains in the artery and expands, remaining in this state. Thanks to this, even those vessels that were completely clogged with cholesterol again acquire the ability to pass blood, and restore their performance.
Indications and contraindications
During angioplasty, the stent is inserted under the skin, through the muscle tissue and penetrates directly into the heart. And this is a full-fledged surgical intervention with damage to body tissues. Therefore, the procedure has both indications and contraindications. To begin, we will analyze the first.
- Angina pectoris, which is accompanied by chest pain. It doesn’t matter whether the ache is manifested exclusively under exertion or in a calm state is also present. Also, it does not matter if this is the first case of angina pectoris or it’s not being repeated for the first time;
- Acute myocardial infarction. If nitro drugs don’t help get rid of chest pain;
- If after an acute myocardial infarction, the ache has not stopped;
- Early angina pectoris, which may develop after a heart attack;
- Stable angina pectoris. The operation can be performed at the request of the patient, who is prevented by regular chest pains or those, which caused by increased physical exertion;
- Painless myocardial ischemia. In this case, the patient does not feel ache, but examination shows that he has developed ischemia.
As for contraindications, then the physician can categorically refuse the patient only if he has intolerance to antithrombotic agents. They are used after surgery so that the stent is not covered by platelets.
Besides, the doc may refuse in several other cases. But these reasons are not guaranteed reasons for refusal, and where everything is done exclusively at the discretion:
- The endocarditis of the aortic valve;
- Congestive heart failure;
- Severe peripheral vascular disease;
- Electrolyte disturbances;
- Acute or chronic renal failure;
- Refusal of the patient from subsequent rehabilitation.
Preparation for the procedure
PTCA is a rather complicated procedure, and before you undergo it, you should prepare the body. And here it’s extremely important that the patient fully follows the recommendations of the physician. From it you may need:
- Shave off hair in the puncture area immediately before the procedure;
- Have regular tests and an ECG. Their frequency is determined by the attending physician;
- Refusal of water and food 4 hours before the procedure;
Take all medicines prescribed by your medico. These are antithrombotic drugs. The dosage and order of administration are also determined by the attending physician.
After the operation, the doctor can leave the patient in the hospital for 1-3 days to monitor his condition. Throughout the next month, the patient is exempted from carrying heavy loads and driving a car.
If pain or bleeding in the legs appears during this period, you should immediately inform your doctor. Also, you should immediately consult a doctor if, for no reason, the temperature rises or shortness of breathe appears.
How fast will the results be?
The results will appear immediately after the procedure. But over the next month, the blood supply to organs will return to normal, which will positively affect the quality of life of the patient.
Angioplasty and stenting in our treatment center
We have selected upscale staff. Everything from doctors to nurses undergoes special training. Physicians have a constant long-term and continuous practice. Thanks to this, there are no difficult situations for them, and those that they encounter are solved in two ways. Our experts have established themselves as professionals at a very high level.
Specialists work with modern equipment. We specially selected such equipment that will help doctors carry out operations not only quickly, but also as safely as possible for the patient’s health. We were approached by a large number of people who underwent angioplasty and vascular stenting. And all of them note the high professionalism of our staff.
To make an appointment with a surgeon and find out if you can undergo this procedure, call the number +7 (495) 775-73-60.