ECG for children
Disorders of the cardiovascular system in children can be either congenital in nature or appear after past diseases. Even with the slightest suspicion, it is necessary to conduct an ECG of the heart of the child. Parents should not neglect testing, even if the child appears to be perfectly healthy. Small murmurs in the heart can be masked even by external well-being. A timely ECG of the heart for a child can prevent dangerous diseases.
What is ECG?
An ECG (electrocardiogram) is a simple and reliable way of examining the work of the heart. During the procedure, the cardiograph records the electrical potentials that appear during the work of the heart muscle. All information comes to the doctor in the form of a graph on a paper tape. The procedure is absolutely painless, ECG can be performed for children at any age. The study helps diagnose many dangerous cardiovascular diseases. An ECG of the heart for a child can detect diseases such as:
- hypertrophy (enlargement) of any parts of the heart;
- congenital or acquired heart defects, myocarditis;
- angina pectoris;
- myocardial infarction;
- blockage of the pulmonary artery by blood clots (thromboembolism);
- metabolic changes in the myocardium.
Children's EKG has several features. There are several reasons for this.
Why does the ECG of a child's heart have features?
Each age period has its own characteristics that must be taken into account when carrying out various procedures, including an ECG. This is due to:
- anatomical location of the heart in the chest;
- different ratio of muscle mass of the right and left ventricles;
- changes in the rate of excitation in the myocardium;
- different frequency of contraction of the heart muscle;
- influences of the vegetative-endocrine nature.
Throughout the entire process of growing up and growing a child, the morphological structure of the heart and blood vessels is constantly changing. This must be taken into account when conducting an ECG in children.
Indications for a child's ECG
Doctors give children an ECG referral in the following cases:
- the child has murmurs in the region of the heart;
- shortness of breath;
- high blood pressure;
- pathologies were found in other internal organs;
- violation of the heart rhythm;
- predisposition to diseases of the cardiovascular system (heredity);
- severe infections;
- before surgery.
ECG in a newborn during the first two days of life
In the ECG in children, individual fluctuations are noted during the first two days. Immediately after birth, the heart rate is 157 per minute, and after cutting the umbilical cord - 142 per minute. In the first hours after birth, doctors note fluctuations in the RR interval from 0.44 to 0.54 ", the heart rate is 123.0 ± 1.8 per minute. To make an ECG for a baby, it is important to swaddle it well. This is necessary in order to for the recording of the electrocardiographic curve to be correct. The child must be warmed and motionless. They refuse to swaddle only if the child is in serious condition and practically does not move. It is recommended to record an ECG 1.5-2 hours after feeding and before the X-ray research and physiotherapy.
Where to get an ECG for a child in Moscow?
If your child has received an ECG referral, there is no reason to panic. The procedure is completely painless and will not take more than 10 minutes. Research is carried out using modern technology and gives very accurate results. ECG in children has many features. The specialists of our clinic have extensive experience in reading cardiograms. The Medicina clinic is accredited according to the strictest American standards of medical care and is ready to provide you with:
- diagnostics using the latest equipment, which is used in the best clinics in Europe;
- service at the level of foreign medical centers;
- consultations and treatment from the best specialists in Europe and Russia.
In the modern clinic "Medicine" you can make a paid ECG for a child and order a transcript from an experienced cardiologist. You will receive reliable information about the health of your baby and, if necessary, carry out timely treatment.