MRI of the abdomen with and without contrast
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the abdomen and pelvis is a safe and painless way to examine the muscles and internal organs of the pelvis. The method is used for injuries, to detect pathological neoplasms and prevent complications after surgery.
An abdominal MRI can examine the following organs:
- liver, kidneys, spleen, pancreas, bile ducts, intestines, adrenal glands;
- bladder and pelvic organs: uterus and ovaries for women, prostate for men;
- blood vessels, aorta;
- lymph nodes.
The service is provided around the clock, so you can undergo scanning at the clinic of academician Roytberg «Medicina» at any time convenient for you.
How to prepare for an abdominal MRI scan
No special preparation is required before the procedure. The day before the MRI of the abdominal cavity, give up alcohol, mineral water, and any other carbonated drinks, fermented milk products, legumes, black bread, fruits, as well as tea and coffee. Remove all metal objects from yourself before examination. Tell your doctor if you have tattoos, electronic implants, and how you feel in a confined space. The MRI scanner is quite noisy, so it is advisable to use earplugs or headphones during the procedure. This will help reduce tension and stress.
Indications and contraindications for abdominal MRI procedure
Doctors usually recommend an abdominal MRI if they want to confirm or deny a previously made diagnosis or for the following symptoms:
- frequent stomach pain;
- enlarged spleen or liver;
- blood circulation is impaired;
- diseases of the gallbladder or bile ducts;
- cancer and benign tumors;
- enlarged lymph nodes;
- graft rejection;
- endometriosis of the walls of the epithelium, uterine myoma;
- aortic aneurysm.
Also, the procedure is performed with or without contrast, for a more accurate assessment of the effectiveness of the current treatment or surgery.
Observing all the safety rules, MRI can be considered a safe procedure, but not everyone can conduct an examination. Here are some examples where contrast diagnostics are undesirable:
- the presence of implanted electronic devices;
- pregnancy (consultation with a doctor is required);
- lactation period;
- body weight over 130 kg;
- schizophrenia and various mental disorders;
- the patient's condition is too serious;
- acute renal failure;
- bronchial asthma;
- congenital pathologies of the cardiovascular system.
If you have allergic or claustrophobic attacks, it is advisable to consult a doctor before having an MRI. After the tests and consultation, it will be possible to decide on a conservative examination method.
To make an appointment for an MRI of the abdominal cavity at the clinic of Academician Roytberg «Medicina», call in Moscow +7 (495) 775-73-60.