MRI Pituitary and sella turcica
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) pituitary with and without contrast – is a non-invasive and effective method of visualization of this gland in order to determine tumor-like processes in it. During the research, specialists also examine the sella turcica - a specific fossa in the sphenoid bone of the skull, where the hypophysis is located.
MRI allows you to detect pathologies and neoplasms of the gland:
- cushing syndrome;
- cystic microadenoma and macroadenoma;
- rathke cysts.
With the help of MRI, it is possible to examine the hearth localization of the detected neoplasm, structure, size and its prevalence. The obtained data allows to predict the development of the disease and choose effective treatment tactics.
To increase the clarity of the resulting images, the diagnosis is carried out with a contrast agent. This allows to monitor the blood circulation in the hypophysis.
In the radiopaedia department of the JSC «Medicine» clinic, the magnetic resonance imaging procedure can be performed at any time of the day, both with and without contrast.
|Pituitary MRI scan
|Pituitary MRI with contrast
Indications and contraindications for the procedure
MRI pituitary and sella turcica are performed when diagnosing tumors , as well as when the following symptoms occur in patients:
- hormonal disorders;
- craniocerebral injury;
- presence of concomitant diseases (hemochromatosis, sarcoidosis, histiocytosis);
- empty sella turcica syndrome;
- congenital and acquired pathologies.
Before performing an MRI, all metal objects must be removed. The procedure lasts for about 15 minutes without harmful radiation effect on the body. However, the diagnosis is not recommended in the following cases:
- period of pregnancy and lactation;
- hypersensitivity to contrast agents;
- patients with diabetes mellitus in the stage of decompensation and kidney pathologies;
- presence of metal structures in the body (prosthetic devices, cardiac pacemakers).
You can get answers to your questions or make an appointment for a MRI pituitary and sella turcica at the «Medicine» clinic by phone in Moscow: +7(495) 775-73-60